Patton McDowell & Associates focuses its search services on executive, development, marketing and finance positions in the nonprofit sector. Given the firm’s deep networks in the philanthropic sector and with development professionals, coupled with its expertise in search and recruiting, PMA is ideally suited to conduct search advisory and full search engagements for executive clients like Crisis Assistance Ministry.
An independent non-profit agency, Crisis Assistance Ministry (CAM) focuses on preventing homelessness and preserving dignity for Charlotte-Mecklenburg’s working poor. This strong nonprofit in Charlotte, NC, is seeking a Chief Advancement Officer. Fostering a culture of philanthropy within the organization, the Chief Advancement Officer plans, coordinates and assures implementation of strategies to develop donors and contributions to support the organization. The Chief Advancement Officer also assures development and maintenance of appropriate systems including volunteer and donor management, research and cultivation, gift processing and recognition. Specific responsibilities include:
- Fund Development: Recommends short and long-range fund development plans and programs that support the organization’s values, mission and general objectives. Helps develop a balanced funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate donors and volunteers. Helps establish performance measures, monitors results and evaluates the effectiveness of the organization’s fund development program. Assures development and writing of foundation, corporate and government proposals, solicitation materials, newsletters and other communications vehicles. Appropriately represents the institution to donors, prospects, volunteers, media and the general public. Develops an annual calendar/plan to coordinate all crucial development initiatives. Assures the development and execution of the organization’s branding and communications strategy. Owns the external communication of all agency data.
- Donor Relations and Recognition: Develops, maintains and strengthens relationships with partners, donors and volunteers. Assures maintenance of accurate donor and volunteer records, gift management systems, and information reports. Assures design and implementation of acknowledgment and recognition programs. Ensures compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintains accountability standards to donors and ensures compliance with code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct.
- Staff Development & Management: Creates a rewarding work environment. Provides a work environment that fosters creativity and a desire for continuous improvement. Establishes measurable goals/objectives for each member of the team. Provides periodic assessment of performance. Provides staff/training development opportunities. Develop awareness of diversity issues. Provides clear and consistent communications to team and entire staff.
- General Responsibilities are included but not limited to: Defines and oversees agency tours. Represents the agency at public events throughout the week and weekends. Has overall responsibility for the agency’s Speaker’s Bureau. Supports and participates in activities of the Senior Leadership Team. Willingness to travel as needed.
- Key Partnerships: Partners frequently with Board of Directors, Chief Executive Officer, Foundation, Congregation, Corporate and Government Contacts, Financial, in-kind and material goods donors, Major Gift Officer, Database Administrator, Volunteer and Events Manager, Communications Manager, Agency Program Directors, Volunteers, Agency clients and United Way
The ideal candidate would have the following capabilities and qualities:
- A demonstrated commitment to helping people in poverty
- Bachelor’s Degree is required; professional certification is strongly desired
- A minimum of 5 years with demonstrated excellence in fund development and/or business development including relationship management and cultivation of client/donors
- Experience setting strategy and leading teams to fulfill the associated measurable outcomes
- Proficient command of Microsoft Office suite, database and query expertise, internet use
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of people
- Proven oral and written communications skills
- Experience managing multiple large projects simultaneously
- Customer/client focused
- Extensive management experience with responsibility with multiple lines of business
- Adheres to the Association of Fund Raising Professionals’ Code of Ethics and “Donor Bill of Rights”
- Extensive public speaking experience
- Experience in public relations
- Experience with and understanding of non-profits
- Understanding of agency’s mission and population served
Applications are due by July 10, 2013. All inquiries, nominations and applications are to be directed via email to Patton McDowell & Associates: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should include a cover letter and resume. Please indicate in the subject line of your email the position and organization to which you are applying and where you learned of the opportunity. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Please note that only those candidates invited for screening will be contacted.